Nix in Dubai 2006

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Is there a doctor in the hoose?

Tuesday 19th December

Ok this is not a hangover. On a sickness scale of 1 to 10 I am a 9 ½.

10 being the stage I call an ambulance.

My head hurts so badly I can’t move. My fever is so bad I could ring out my mattress. It was an effort to sit up and drink water or get up and go to the bathroom. I was completely done in.

Time for a doctor. I haven’t been to a doctor for well over a year. Since I stopped smoking actually. The effort it took to get up and dressed nearly killed me.

And I had no car. It was still at the Country Club. Just as well, I wasn’t fit to drive anyway. Worried I might have glandular fever again. I have had it twice before and really knocks you for six for a couple months after.

Weird how the wee things in your body that you never normally pay any attention to ie glands, can cause so much disruption when they don’t work.

And your heart is a weird thing too. It’s an organ that keeps you alive but you never think about it or notice it until it starts palpitating and fluttering strangely. Scary.

So called a cab and managed to drag my sorry ass to the hospital. Still thinking I had some sort of virus and not calling anyone coz I didn’t want them to catch the lurgy.

I had an appointment but had to wait for nearly 30 mins. By the time I went in I was nearly collapsing.

After a very brief and actually quite intimidating examination by a female doctor who obviously had better things to do with her life and was wishing she was anywhere else but there, the diagnosis was not fatal.
Thankfully I do not have glandular fever. Unthankfully I have bronchitis. Which is a total bitch considering I haven’t had a fag for 15 months!

Anyway a few antibiotics the size of horse pills and a ventolin inhaler later I was outside waiting for a cab home to go back to bed.

Well that was after I had to pay 75 Dhs at the cardio department to get taught how to take the inhaler…..!

Nice mannie showed me how to use the inhaler and who was very tickled and took grat pleasure in telling me that there are three other Nicola Wilson’s in Dubai. One of whom he know and also works in the American Hospital.

I couldn’t give a shit. I just wanted to get home to bed.

Oh and the heart palpitations is from the Clarinase I was taking. They are decongestants and apparently cause heart palpitations in lots of people. You always get that big long list of side effects inside, but who actually reads them?? Guess I will be from now on.

They are in the bin now and I won’t be buying them again.

Always check the label!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home